Flying Pigeon bicycles has a long history. In 1936, a Japanese businessman built a factory in Tianjin which was named "Changho Works" and started to make "Anchor" bicycles. The brand name was changed to "Victory", and then renamed to "Zhongzi".
After the Communists led by Mao Zedong came to power in 1949, the bicycle industry was revived. In April 1949, Chairman Mao's heir apparent, vice president Liu Shaoqi paid a visit to the factory and commanded that it become the first bicycle manufacturer in New China.
Their workers were aimed to build a generation of strong, durable, light and beautiful bicycle for New China.
On July 5th, 1950, the first Flying Pigeon bicycle was produced. It was the brainchild of a worker named Huo Baoji. He based his classic model on the 1932 English Raleigh roadster.
The name chosen to represent the most prominent bicycle trademark was an expression for peace amidst the raging war in Korea. The logo is a stylized bird which represents concord and harmony, resting on the initials FP.